[nSLUG] Re: Browsers and source saving (was "Re: Re: amusing convergence of old and new")

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Apr 15 22:10:41 ADT 2010

Ted Tibbetts <intuited at gmail.com> wrote

> [various Firefox pointers]

Thanks.  I need to pay more attention.  I'll have a look and see what
I can see.

> Out of curiosity:  Since you run Linux and don't use Firefox (and presumably
> not Chrome either), what browser do you use?

I thank you for asking.  But nobody else will. :-) Because I've
mentioned my grumpy browser attitude before and I'm now (presumably)
classed as a crank, at least on this topic. :-o

I have Firefox 2.0 and I use it on those few occasions when I really
*really* want to see something that requires it.  I'll even upgrade to
FF 3.  Real Soon Now.

I usually use Netscape Navigator 4.76.

I have dialup access.  I run Netscape with images disabled.  That
means that, as a dialup user at ca. 40 kb/s or less, I don't have to
wait for all the banners, dingbats, pictures of words, animations,
video clips, backgrounds and especially ads to download.  But Netscape
has a feature that, AFAIK, is not supported by Firefox.

Netscape:

    With images disabled, every image larger than (something like) 2x2
    pixels is rendered as a placeholder icon or outline box or both.

    Clicking on such an icon causes the image to be fetched and the
    page re-rendered to include the image.

Firefox:

    With images disabled, every image larger than (something like) 2x2
    pixels is rendered as ITS ALT TEXT ATTRIBUTE, if any, else as a
    placeholder icon.

    There is no way to ask for one single image to be fetched and
    rendered.  Neither the ALT text nor (in the case of no ALT text
    being available) the placeholder icon is live.  They're not
    responsive, in the way the Netscape provides, to access the image
    represented.

Using Netscape, it's usually possible, even easy, to determine which
icon or outline box represents, say, the technical diagram sought and
which ones represent all the eye candy and proof of web designer's
egregious aesthetic sense. :-)

If it were possible to configure Firefox to do this, I might switch.
Or at least give it a try.

Can't access sophisticated sites with NN 4.76?  I hardly ever want to.
If it's really, really important, there's Firefox. Sometimes I visit a
corporate web site to find info on a product. NN can't cope with what
appears to be a mare's nest of web designer's vaudeville.  So I fire
up Firefox and, after waiting for a meg of gratuitous imagery to
download, discover that, yes, the site really *is* a totally
incomprehensible, un-navigable can of worms.  Ho hum. (You'd think
that people who want to *sell* you something would keep it simple,
no?)

Security?  I have Java, javascript and cookies disabled.  NN 4.76
doesn't support <IFRAMEs.  NN doesn't do smtp or nntp.  Not bullet
proof, I suppose, but not in the cross-hairs of today's typical
attacks, either.

Not FOSS?  Mea culpa.  I have three other proprietary, closed-source
programs as well.  Penance, if you insist, is negotiable.

Sorry you asked?  Everybodye else is.  :-)

Tnx,
- Cranky old geezer

                                                           /V\