[nSLUG] Browsers and source saving (was "Re: Re: amusing convergence of old and new")

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:46:11 ADT 2010

Not sure if there's a setting to change the default file save mode.. I
pretty much always just edit stuff in-place using Firebug or Chrome.  You
can right-click on any element of the page and "Inspect" it to bring up a
zoom to that part of the source; from there you can edit that tag directly.
 When you're finished editing, the page display will change to reflect the
new source code.  Since you're editing the "live" version of the page it
shows you the source after any changes made by javascript, and lets you
revise those changes.

I did notice that if you save from the "View Source" window, it will assume
that you just want to save the HTML.  It may be that the reasoning behind
making an archive format the default is that people who don't really
understand what they're doing will assume that saving a page entails saving
the media it embeds, ie they will not make a distinction between the two.
 If FF just saved the HTML, people would be confused as to why it only saved
the text and not the images and styling as well.

Out of curiosity:  Since you run Linux and don't use Firefox (and presumably
not Chrome either), what browser do you use?

Cheers
-Ted