[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Apr 15 11:41:00 ADT 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Adam Hartling wrote:

> What is the appropriate process to find a person, for example, who will
> be responsible for handling the province's digital medical records
> systems

For NS, there is the entrance exam I mentioned followed by a thorough
grilling in the interview.

> Is it appropriate to hire someone who will be handling systems like that
> with a casual hiring process without any sort of official professional
> vetting mechanism?

The interview process is not "casual". Last time we hired a sysadmin at my
POW it took over a year to find a suitable candidate, only 2 were found.
Running through HR post-interview for various checks added in so much time
that the first candidate snapped up a job elsewhere. Criminal record
checks are also required.

Cheers... Dop.