[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 09:47:29 ADT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Adam Hartling
<adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com>wrote:

> There may not be a problem, my question is do we have a system in place to
> properly screen people for positions that involves critical amounts of
> responsibility. What is the appropriate process to find a person, for
> example, who will be responsible for handling the province's digital
> medical
> records systems or the countries social insurance databases, systems that
> can impact large amounts of the population if not handled responsibly. Is
> it
> appropriate to hire someone who will be handling systems like that with a
> casual hiring process without any sort of official professional vetting
> mechanism?
>
> I should add that I'm in no way suggesting that anyone in those positions
> currently are not professionals, I'm sure they are all qualified. I'm a
> perpetual devil's advocate and argument starter lol, so don't be offended.
> just like to put out questions and ideas like this and see what comes back.

Personally, I've seen more incompetence and damage done by
incompetent bosses in IT.  Are there certifications for CIOs?

The tendency is people who are yes people get the job, regardless of
knowledge or capabilities.  If you can talk fast, know how to use
buzzwords from CIO magazine, and promise anything with good
poker bluff skills, you're hired for the executive.  In takes 2 to 3 years
for upper management to figure out the person is a useless windbag
while the lower echelons knew this from a first meet.

Why they don't ask the lower echelons for an opinion, I'm not sure,
but I suspect they assume we'd want what is good for us
personally rather than what would further the goals of the organization.
In my observation, it is the ordinary worker with a long term employment
who has the best interests of the business in mind.  The exec types
don't stick around very long, and behave as if they are
delivering improvements, but are really focused on adding tickmarks
to a list on their CV or annual report rather than actually delivering
something useful for customers and end users.  As covered by
Jerry Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy:

in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people:
those who work to further the actual goals of the organization,
and those who work for the organization itself.
The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person will
always gain control of the organization, and will always write the
rules under which the organization functions.