[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 08:51:29 ADT 2010

>To what end? To avoid wasting the interviewers time, or the
>humiliation of the candidate? This is an example where I have to ask:
>what is the problem you would like to solve?

There may not be a problem, my question is do we have a system in place to
properly screen people for positions that involves critical amounts of
responsibility. What is the appropriate process to find a person, for
example, who will be responsible for handling the province's digital medical
records systems or the countries social insurance databases, systems that
can impact large amounts of the population if not handled responsibly. Is it
appropriate to hire someone who will be handling systems like that with a
casual hiring process without any sort of official professional vetting
mechanism?

I should add that I'm in no way suggesting that anyone in those positions
currently are not professionals, I'm sure they are all qualified. I'm a
perpetual devil's advocate and argument starter lol, so don't be offended. I
just like to put out questions and ideas like this and see what comes back.

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com