[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Apr 14 19:45:00 ADT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Daniel Morrison wrote:

[...killall]

> I don't know about that. I've been a paid sysadmin for 15+ years, but
> I haven't a clue what killall does. Why not? I never use it, because I
> don't trust it.

By saying that you would rate a pass on the question in our environment,
and we would probably stop the test right there and go into pure interview
mode. It's not just knowledge, it's a matter of picking out someone with
the right attitude as well. I don't know of a cert that can do that.

> CentOS:
> killall  sends  a signal to all processes running any of the specified
> commands.
> (how is this different from pkill?)
>
> Solaris:
> killall is used by shutdown(1M) to kill all active processes not
> directly related to the shutdown procedure.

Bingo.

Cheers... Dop.