[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:16:47 ADT 2010

On 14 April 2010 16:09, Adam Hartling <adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com> wrote:
>>I have, for example, heard a rumour that a carpenter applied for a senior
>>Unix sysadmin position [...] the subsequent interview lasted
>>somewhere under 5 minutes (including introductions) before he was walked
>>out the door.

> That's the sort of thing I'd hope a formal licensing system would help stop.

To what end? To avoid wasting the interviewers time, or the
humiliation of the candidate? This is an example where I have to ask:
what is the problem you would like to solve?

>From my perspective, it's a free country -- anyone can apply for a
job, and it's up to the interviewer to reject the unqualified
candidates (or pick the most promising one and train them
appropriately). Over-regulation results in a situation where the
potential employees are annoyed by ever-changing certification
processes, and the employers are annoyed by impediments to hiring the
candidate they wish to hire, rather than the one who's good at passing
exams.

-D.