[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:12:53 ADT 2010

On 14 April 2010 15:18, Adam Hartling <adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Putting aside all the specific issues with this exam or that exam, I feel
> there needs to be a more formal form of certification or accreditation of
> computer techs. IT people are handling the mission critical systems of the
> world now and that should require that those people be essentially licensed
> to do so. I think of how lawyers are required to pass bar exams to practice,
> I'd like to see something along those lines for IT related fields. If that
> doesn't exist in the exams and certs we have today, then perhaps it's time
> to create it. You wouldn't let a doctor or lawyer practice without some form
> of license because of the damage an unqualified person could do, why should
> a tech not be expected to prove their competency in the same way when they
> can have the  power to potentially damage whole infrastructures through
> incompetency.

Your arguments are very much "I feel there should be" opinions, which
is fine as far as they go, but what are the real-world problems you
are solving? I think that, as has already been mentioned, companies
already do a good job of weeding out inexperienced job candidates.

The difference with doctors and lawyers is that they take on new
clients all the time -- often individual people who have little choice
about engaging professional services, and who do not have the
expertise to judge a competent practitioner from a charlatan.
Sysadmins generally work for a company, not an individual.

Finally, I feel that a bureaucratic, top-down control of certification
for practice in sysadmining such as you are proposing is contrary to
the bottom-up, grassroots nature of the free software community.

-D.