[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 16:09:55 ADT 2010

>I have, for example, heard a rumour that a carpenter applied for a senior
>Unix sysadmin position at a department over at the province because he
>"wanted a career change" and managed to make it past HR with some basic
>certs he'd managed to get. I believe the subsequent interview lasted
>somewhere under 5 minutes (including introductions) before he was walked
>out the door.

Wow, that's crazy lol.

That's the sort of thing I'd hope a formal licensing system would help stop.
If someone like that somehow received a certification or license and was
shown to be incompetent, then the company who hired him could make a
complaint to the licensing body. Then a review of that person could be done
and if it was found he wasn't up to par, the license/cert could be revoked
or suspended. Then that person couldn't continue on to apply for other
positions as he wouldn't have a valid license/cert, provided the hiring
party checked out the validity of it during the hiring process.

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com