[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Apr 14 16:01:44 ADT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Adam Hartling wrote:

> You wouldn't let a doctor or lawyer practice without some form of
> license because of the damage an unqualified person could do, why should
> a tech not be expected to prove their competency in the same way when
> they can have the power to potentially damage whole infrastructures
> through incompetency.

In a mission critical environment I would expect the interview process
would pick out incompetents, with interviews done by someone with clue.
One of my favourites for my environment is "what does killall do on Unix
systems?"; that is one that people who have the battle scars know the
answer to all too well, but filters out people who have only run a Linux
box in their basement.

I have, for example, heard a rumour that a carpenter applied for a senior
Unix sysadmin position at a department over at the province because he
"wanted a career change" and managed to make it past HR with some basic
certs he'd managed to get. I believe the subsequent interview lasted
somewhere under 5 minutes (including introductions) before he was walked
out the door.

Cheers... Dop.