[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:08:18 ADT 2010

>I don't know that it's unnecessary or beneath, but I believe for certain
>areas of computer related professions demonstrating past achievements is
>usually better than certification. For example that takes it to an
>extreme, someone like Greg Kroah-Hartman would be able to get a job
>without needing any certification at all.

Totally agree that experience should win over paper. Hiring someone based on
a certification alone is shortsighted. I see certifications as being an
interface with business to show experience or at least some form of
competency. Anyone can write on a resume that they did this and that, but I
believe a certification can help validate that. And when you're looking for
a job, why not use ever advantage you can?

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com