[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:00:15 ADT 2010

>The problem is that many computer industry certifications really don't
>exist for the purpose of acquiring or demonstrating competence.  Many
>vendors create certifications for their own products for the purpose
>of encouraging sales.

Yes, I agree with that, I see that too. I've only taken CompTIA exams partly
for that reason, I feel their exams are as close to vendor neutral as you
can get. I also don't like the idea of spending time and money to acquire an
exam for a specific technology that may become obsolete in a number of
years.

>Where certification would really win, would be if the certifying body
>were some kind of professional association that has little or nothing
>to gain by allowing just anyone to pass the exam.

Yes, agree on that too. There are certification bodies that are accredited
by the ISO now, CompTIA just recently being one of them. Other accredited
bodies I believe are Microsoft and Oracle. The ISO doesn't administer the
exams, but it's something towards ideal.

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com