[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 01:29:22 ADT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Adam Hartling
<adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it
> that certifications in computer related professions have a reputation as
> being unnecessary and somehow beneath qualified people?

The problem is that many computer industry certifications really don't
exist for the purpose of acquiring or demonstrating competence.  Many
vendors create certifications for their own products for the purpose
of encouraging sales.

If you were considering the purchase of AcmeWidget, then you would be
encouraged by the ready availability of AcmeWidget Certified Solutions
Engineers.

This is a problem because the certifying authority has a lot to gain
by the mere existence of lots of AWCSEs.  That leads to "exam prep"
schools where they do little else than teach you to regurgitate exam
answers, and where most of the "study" consists in taking practice
exams.

Now, not all vendor certifications are that way, but I'm quite certain some are.

Where certification would really win, would be if the certifying body
were some kind of professional association that has little or nothing
to gain by allowing just anyone to pass the exam.

That said, I've been toying with getting some of Sun's Java
certifications.  From what I've seen, the study required really would
involve some real diligent study and practice, and might enable me to
get Java coding gigs that I might not otherwise get.  I have lots of
experience as a coder, but not much experience with Java.  What little
I have is from ten years ago.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford