[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Apr 13 23:34:25 ADT 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Adam Hartling wrote:

> I have to ask, other professions have certifications and courses, some
> required to work in certain professions and for job advancements. Why is it
> that certifications in computer related professions have a reputation as
> being unnecessary and somehow beneath qualified people?

I don't know that it's unnecessary or beneath, but I believe for certain
areas of computer related professions demonstrating past achievements is
usually better than certification. For example that takes it to an
extreme, someone like Greg Kroah-Hartman would be able to get a job
without needing any certification at all.

I am myself another example; I was taken on as a consultant at my current
place of work with no AIX experience after no-one else in Halifax would
take the gig, and after a month I started getting requests to join full
time (and sufficient blandishments persuaded me to join). I still have no
AIX certs, but I am running a fairly large production system mostly with 5
9's availability, and I have several boxes that have maintained 100%
uptime since I started.

Cheers... Dop.