[nSLUG] amusing convergence of old and new

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 21:09:57 ADT 2010

There is a vi equivalent called jsvi <http://gpl.internetconnection.net/vi/>.
 It is I think feature-complete for `vi` and has some additional features
like spell checking.  I don't think it implements syntax colouring or some
of the more impressive features of ymacs though.

I'd be pretty interested in seeing something like this applied to HTML
editing, ie being able to edit a webpage interactively using vi-like
controls and commands.  It would be great to have efficient editing
functionality available in a context that allows for a richer display of
content.  Having a javascript command line readily available, probably with
jQuery and some additional macros defined, would be an obvious plus.  And
saving via WebDAV or some such would make it practical.

There's a Firefox plugin called
EmbeddedEditor<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5482>that
is similar to or perhaps an improvement on the mozex functionality
that
Daniel mentions.  This allows you to replace the textbox with an embedded
xterm running the editor of your choice.  You hit a key combo, I think ^E by
default, to invoke it; I believe mozex works the same way.  EE uses a system
called mozplugger to implement the transition.  I'm not sure of the
relationship between mozplugger and mozex, perhaps one is a further
development of the other.  I've found EmbeddedEditor pretty reliable, though
IIRC there are some security precautions against using it indiscriminately
on unknown websites.

Also: those annoyed by the inability to resize edit boxes can take note that
the Chrome browser provides this functionality, so any text boxes you use in
Chrome can be resized just by dragging the corner.  It doesn't always work
with the CSS layout but you can always do it; so you may end up not being
able to see part of the box, as you can drag it under fixed-position divs
and such.

Cheers
-Ted