[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Adam Hartling adam.hartling.ns at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 20:26:42 ADT 2010

>In general, I agree.  Just getting a cert in order to get a
>job is silly; and ignoring resumes which don't have certs on
>them is equally silly.  In fact most HR departments are
>extremely silly IMHO...  But that's a bigger topic.

I have to ask, other professions have certifications and courses, some
required to work in certain professions and for job advancements. Why is it
that certifications in computer related professions have a reputation as
being unnecessary and somehow beneath qualified people? My partner is a
teacher and he had to take courses and certifications to advance in his
career, and I recall my Aunt having to take an exam to earn a certification
in her loan officer position to advance as well. Aren't certifications and
the like just a normal part of a professional career?

-----
Atlantic Canada Open Source Showcase blog:  http://acoss.wordpress.com
http://acoss.wordpress.com