[nSLUG] Linux Certifications

Johann Tienhaara jtienhaara at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 13:23:02 ADT 2010

How long is a piece of string?  ;)

IMHO the Red Hat Enterprise Linux certs are great for
sys admins, or anyone who has to (or wants to) do a
bit of sys admin work.  Of course they are not cheap,
but sometimes employers pay for 'em.

To study for a RHEL exam you need to basically live
eat sleep breathe on a CentOS/Scientific/RHE Linux
machine for a few weeks.  Reading is nowhere near as
helpful as just plunging in and trying stuff out.
If you don't repeatedly make your OS unbootable,
then you're not doing anywhere near enough practice.
:)

The RHEL courses are challenging and the exams are
too, but the exams are mainly super short.  I didn't
come anywhere close to fixing all the problems on
my exam, and Hatem (who took it at the same time)
was I think in a similar boat (though maybe not
quite as stressed as me :) ).

We took the 302 combined course.  You can split it
up into 2 courses (133 I think it is, followed by
253).  But the 253 never actually runs in Halifax.
It gets canceled every time due to lack of
enrollment.

I think it was absolutely worth my while (mainly
because I didn't pay for it :) ).  Just learning
how to mess around with SE Linux made the admission
price worthwhile.  I expect in 5 or so years that
knowledge might actually start to come in handy.  :)

$0.02!

Johann Tienhaara