[nSLUG] EeePC Memory Upgrade

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Apr 11 11:29:35 ADT 2010

On 11/04/10 10:43 AM, Hatem Nassrat wrote:
> Anybody know what is the maximum memory upgrade for the 701SD, is it 2
> or 4 GB. Would 4GB not work, or would it only use less than 4GB due to
> it havng a 32bit processor. Also the bus speed for the 701SD Ram, is
> it 677 or 533?

Neither the kernel (as Scott indicated) nor the processor is the
limiting factor.  It's the Intel 910gml chipset.  It won't handle more
than 2G.

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/910gml/910gml-overview.htm

Either 533 or 667 will work.  Generally we use 667 because it is what
tends to be available, whereas 533 is harder to find.  The FSB is 400,
so just get whatever is cheapest.  It will be clocked down to whatever
the FSB speed is anyway, and will work at that speed without issues.

Ben