[nSLUG] 32big software on 64 bit platform

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 09:54:13 ADT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Sheldon Tower <shtower at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there a way to run 32 bit software in a 64 bit Linux environment?

Use the sources to build native 64-bit versions.

I'm replacing an ia32 Ubuntu box with an amd_64 machine, but last time I checked
my Canon printer had only 32-bit libs, so I may need to do this.

Many 32-bit Intel apps work fine in x86_64 or amd_64 linux, but there
are exceptions.
For those one solution is to run 32-bit linux in a VM.  Ubuntu
provides ia32-libs:

"This package contains runtime libraries for the ia32/i386 architecture,
configured for use on an amd64 or ia64 Debian system running a 64-bit kernel."

Ubuntu amd_64 has a bunch of pre-packaged 32-bit libraries, but in some cases
all you can find is the ia32 package.

You can use a chroot to install ia32 packages:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot>

For Ubuntu amd_64 there was a 3rd party tool is32-apt-get or
ia32-libs-tools that automated
the process of installing 32-bit libs from ia32 packages, discussed in:

 <http://serverfault.com/questions/21646/how-do-i-add-repositories-to-ia32-apt-get>

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia