[nSLUG] Cases and fans

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Sat Apr 3 15:49:54 ADT 2010

I have both 5 and 12 volt fans.  These are ceramic bearings rather than bronze
bush or ball bearing.  Most of the fans are $12.00 or less with ceramic
bearings.  The MTBF is over 250,000 hours.  I have been using them for 3+ years
and have never had one fail,  ....... yet!

Regarding the cases.

The small miniITX cases are waaay over priced.  The leaast expensive option is
entry level tower cases.  Dealer cost runs from < $40.00 to 100.00+

Their advantage is they use standard power supplies, and accept the normal
CD/DVD drives, not the slim line ones from laptops.  They look pretty empty
when a miniITX board is used.  They usually have a place for a fan to blow on
the hard drives and another to exhaust the air from the back of the case.

If you really want to be low power and can accept 40gb capacity, think of the
new intel X-25V Solid state drives.  I think less than $180.00 FOB Toronto.

See this link

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-
Details.asp?EdpNo=5532358&sku=I69-7013&srkey=X-25V

There are at least 4 computer wholesalers in metro that I deal with.

Jim H