[nSLUG] Atom based board

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Fri Apr 2 10:18:34 ADT 2010

I have had several inquiries off list about the ATOM board I mentioned.

To save individual replies I have written this.

The full details are here.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D510MO/D510MO-overview.htm

It includes the CPU and NIC

It takes DDR2 RAM, up to 2 modules of 2 GB each.

It ONLY has 2 SATA drive connections not IDE aka PATA.  So it needs a SATA HD
and SATA cd/DVD.  Or 2 SATA HD and an external USB drive

It has ps/2 keyb and mouse jacks.  It has audio built in.

If any nslug member wants them they are $99.00 plus 13% tax. or a total of
$111.87

Note: the previous verision of this board the D945GCLF2 had linux support for
the chipset and one had to install the driver from the NIC chip  maker Realtek.
 I am sure of the status of this newer board regarding Linux drivers and
chipset driver.

This link has some discussion about FreeBSD on this board

>From that and other reading I would surmise that it will be suitable for the
role I intend it and that is a low power low cost web server using the command
line.

I currently use the predecessor the D945GCLF2 as my main desktop unit.  I watch
Youtube videos etc and use Win XP Pro.  I have it loaded to the max of 2 GB of
RAM.  I have about 6 or 7 clients using these as their primary desktop for
office apps.  It is NOT a gaming machine.

Jim H