[nSLUG] ATom based backup units

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 23:50:59 ADT 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:
> Intel's latest ATOM motherboard has integrated the main North South Bridge chip
> on the CPU.  They then eliminated the fan with a large heatsink
>
> Up to 4Gb of RAM  2 SATA connections.
>
> see it here
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D510MO/D510MO-overview.htm
>
> Dealer cost less than $90.00 at this time from Dartmouth warehouse.  Remember
> that includes DUAL core hyprethreaded processor and one on board NIC and
> integrated video.
>
> And it has a 3 year warranty.
>
> 1 PCI slot and 1 PCIe slot
>
> It makes a great Linux server.  I have used 2 or 3 of the previous generation
> board the D945GCLF2 with mirrored drives.  Small cheap and low power.
>
> Jim H

Memory limit doubling from 2 to 4GB is nice.

Out of all of the types of Atom procs, none have both
virtualization and dual core.  You'd think that would go
together.

The new Atom's CPU power rating can't be compared with the
early generation because they moved memory
controller from northbridge to the processor.
So northbridge comes down substantially, while
the CPU power use goes up, for a net overall decrease.
If the page I've found at Intel is correct, the NM10
chipset + atom proc totals 15.1 watts TDP.

The Guruplug is interesting, but the limit at 512MB RAM
would have to change for me.  I was already running into limits
on the old PIII with that kind of RAM capacity.

--Donald