[nSLUG] ATom based backup units

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Apr 1 13:54:19 ADT 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:32:40AM -0300, Jim Haliburton wrote:
> Intel's latest ATOM motherboard has integrated the main North South Bridge chip
> on the CPU.  They then eliminated the fan with a large heatsink

> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D510MO/D510MO-overview.htm

Another low power server is the "GrurPlug Server Plus"

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx

It uses a low power 1.2Ghz Marvell system-on-chip based on ARM. It has
512MB ram, dual ethernet, 802.11b/g, USB, and 1 eSATA port. It is more
limitted then the Atom board, but it will use less power. Debian
should run on the GuruPlug as Debian does run on the very similar
SheevaPlug.

The GuruPlug is $130 USD plus shipping. I just received an email
stating that the GuruPlug is waiting on FCC and CE approval, and
should ship at the end of the month.

When I get mine and install Debian I will report back. I plan to
connect a fullsized 1.5 TB drive to the GuruPlug and use it as my home
file server.

--
sg