[nSLUG] Screen's caption

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Sep 22 00:54:08 ADT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:44:13AM -0300, Mike.lifeguard wrote:

> Also learned to set $PS1="\[\e]0;\u@\H: \w\a\]\u@\h:\w$ " to remove more
> cruft.
>
> I'm sure the sysadmins think they're oh-so-clever, making things "fancy"
> (read: annoying as all getout)

In my experience most users prefer a slightly more "friendly" screen
than the default, fresh-from-GNU variety.

Personally, I like having a "status bar" that shows load average,
sometimes system name, and a list of windows. I've also got zsh set to
update the screen window title (or xterm title if it's not in screen)
with the currently executing command.

You might call that cruft, I find it handy to know at a glance whether
the long running process in window 1 has finished, which window has
the root shell and which has tail running, etc.

Tastes are subjective, we don't all share yours ;)