[nSLUG] SIP VoIP service with NS phone number

Dan Peterson dpiddy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:12:17 ADT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...or I could dial 7 or 10 digits, and let the phone company connect
> me. After all, if we're using the GSM network, why not just let the
> GSM network initiate the call? Why go to the hassle of needing to find
> Wifi (and whose Internet connection would you use, if not "yours"? You
> can't exactly hijack your neighbour's phone's Internet connection) in
> order to initiate a call if it's not going to save you anything? I
> don't even understand what any of this has to do with VOIP!

Not sure what Hatem's specific use case is but re cell phones and this
kind of feature it gets interesting on plans that have free incoming
calls and/or the ability to add the "webcallback" number to your 5
friends or similar. You then have a free link to your VOIP connection
which usually can make calls just about anywhere very cheaply.

In the scenario you described (two Bell landlines), imagine if calling
me from your landline would be long distance but you receive calls
from anywhere for free. Same for me. Instead of paying Bell's most
likely inflated LD rate, we use the go-between and pay their (most
likely much cheaper) rate and Bell gets nothing.

-Dan