[nSLUG] SIP VoIP service with NS phone number

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:16:47 ADT 2009

...or I could dial 7 or 10 digits, and let the phone company connect
me. After all, if we're using the GSM network, why not just let the
GSM network initiate the call? Why go to the hassle of needing to find
Wifi (and whose Internet connection would you use, if not "yours"? You
can't exactly hijack your neighbour's phone's Internet connection) in
order to initiate a call if it's not going to save you anything? I
don't even understand what any of this has to do with VOIP!

There is some serious big picture that you're omitting to explain...

Say I have a landline with Bell. I want to call you on your landline
with Bell. So I boot my computer, connect to the 'Net, login to a
website, enter both phone numbers, wait for my phone to ring, and your
phone to ring, and then we're connected. WTF?

Anyhow, I'm sure the rest of the list is tired of hearing this (mostly
pointless) discussion...

-D.