[nSLUG] SIP VoIP service with NS phone number

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:47:53 ADT 2009

2009/9/15 Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you explain what "webcallback" is? Try as I might, I can't imagine
>
> Basically calls two numbers and joins them together.

Thanks for the clarification. OK, so like an operator in the middle of a call.

> Well what the app would accomplish is even when you have an
> intermittent connection, usually on a mobile phone trying to connect
> to a low signal rogue wireless access point

Except I would call the client phone "rogue", rather than the access point!

> (at-least it happens with
> my phone) or just trying to save bandwidth costs.

SIP phone bandwidth must be pretty minimal... yeah, I guessed about
right. Say about 24 Kibps (kibi bits per second), or 3 KB/s. 7.5
GB/month if you use the phone continuously. (I used
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tools/bandwidth_calculator.php which I
found with google).

> This app would
> basically use the API to connect you to another party, using what they
> call web callback.

> S60 (Symbian 60) is an operating system for Nokia phones (and I
> believe a few other phones as well).

So... you are on an intermittent connection, possibly disappearing
from one IP network and appearing on another, and the client app on
your phone might interact with the third party in the middle
(webcallback), keeping (or "holding") your call active. So you don't
lose the call even when you drop out momentarily.

Am I close?

-D.