[nSLUG] Software Freedom Day

Warren Robertson WRobertson at dal.ca
Mon Sep 14 09:23:54 ADT 2009

Hi, I'm a Fedora user and have stuck to the 32bit for quite a while. I
recently picked up a Gateway FX8600 refurb for about a grand. It has a
i7 920 Quad with 9 GB of RAM, 1 GB ATI 4870, and a TB HD. I was confused
about the AMD64 kernel designation but it worked fine. Let's say it's
hard to warm it up enough to speed up the fans. I've also been trying
out 64bit Vista and Win7 64bit. Same thing goes. A great platform for
trying out VMs, everyone gets it's own processor!

I believe that it's time for 64bit for everything. Drivers and stuff all
seem to be available for most devices and if you bump you system up over
4 GB you already have an OS that supports it. I have found that after
about 2 GB, for me, I can turn off swap drives and that seems to make a
noticeable performance up-tick. That helps 32 or 64 bit.

The more people that run 64bit the fast we'll see it develop.

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 10:17 -0300, Michael Gillie wrote:
> Might I ask what version you plan to use??
>
> A slightly OT question... I'm running an Intel Core2Quad Q8600 on an
> Asus P5QLPro. I've been using the latest x86 32bit version of Ubuntu.
> I know this may seem slightly retarded coming from an IT guy, but I
> want to harness the 64bit power. Is it safe to assume that the AMD64
> version will work safely?
>
> I appreciate help in this, as I'm totally at a loss.
>
> PS: I'm a web dev. Does anyone know os any part-time student jobs?
> (I'm certified in Web Dev through the NSCC, I'm currently studying Sys
> Management and Networking.)
>
> Thanks again,
>

> Michael Gillie
>

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Richard Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca>
> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
>
>         > Richard Bonner wrote:
>         >> We would like to invite all Nova Scotia Linux User Group
>         members to
>         >> attend and perhaps organise a Linux installfest
>         >
>         > Is it an install*fest* if I bring one friend and do his
>         laptop? :D
>         >
>         > - -Mike
>

>         ***   It becomes one, then, because two make it so.  (-:
>
>          Richard

> --
> Have a great day,
>

> Michael C. Gillie
>
> 1-902-482-9644
> Skype: hemmysoft
Warren Robertson, CISS,CCAI
Systems Manager
Dalhousie University
Faculty of Engineering
Internetworking Program
1360 Barrington Street
2nd Floor, A Wing, Room A210
PO Box 1000
Halifax, NS, B3J 2X4
Tel: 902-494-6371 Fax: 902-494-2057
Program Page: http://www.dal.ca/internetworking
"We produce the Internetworking leaders of tomorrow"