[nSLUG] SIP VoIP service with NS phone number

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Sun Sep 13 21:01:15 ADT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 05:29:47PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> I'm using Les.net. Initial setup was a bit challenging (partly because
> I'm using a cheapo VOIP adapter that they don't officially support).
> But once working I've been very satisfied with the service over the
> last year. $3.50/month and 1.5 cents/minute anywhere in NA. 1.1
> cents/minute for local calls. Fractional minute billing. Free voice
> mail.

I used Les.net with a local asterisk setup and a Cisco 7961. It worked
fine, although voice quality was poor sometimes (tinny, symptom of
packet loss. Not bad enough to get choppy though.)

I think they were overloaded at the time, I would imagine they've
improved their capacity since then, it's been a couple years.

They have 902 numbers and if you call enough for it to make a
difference for a couple bucks a month you can get a flat rate.

Note that the flat rate lines allow for a lower number of concurrent
calls, if that matters to you.

> I've heard of satisfied customers using link2voip.com.

Yeah, I've heard of happy people on voip.ms too, no idea what their
number situation is.

> Either way, Quality of Service on your local router is a must.

This. A thousand times this.