[nSLUG] Software Freedom Day

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:04:49 ADT 2009

A fancier computer won't speed up things that don't depend on your
local machine.  For example my Core 2 Quad Xeon Fedora box loads web
pages at the same speed as my Core Duo Mac laptop.

Having lots of cores or separate CPUs is helpful for large builds with
for example "make -j 8".  That starts eight compilation threads.

The reason I wanted a fancy 64-bit box is so that I can run multiple
guest operating systems simultaneously under virtual machines.  After
trying most of the available ones I have settled on Sun's VirtualBox.
Presently I have a single Xeon and 16 GB of memory but the motherboard
will take another Xeon and 64 GB of memory.

The virtual machines are to support the development of a
cross-platform audio application that I'm working on.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com