[nSLUG] Software Freedom Day

jwark at eastlink.ca jwark at eastlink.ca
Sun Sep 13 15:09:24 ADT 2009

Hi Everybody

It was not just the visual feedback provided by gkrellm. The CPU temperature
was definitely higher and this caused the fan to run faster, so that there was a
definite audible sound increase, indicating that the CPU was working harder
with the 32bit distros.

I am too old to want to go investigating hardware architecture details, but I
believe that the data path widths with 64bit systems are 64 bits wide instead of
the 32 bits with 32bit systems. That means that data flow rates between
memory and CPU are higher with 64bit systems. To me, that would adequately
account for the observed reduction in CPU utilization with the 64bit distro.

I don't see why 64bit pointers would have a slow-down effect. With 64bit pointer
fetch the time to fetch a 64bit pointer would not be greater than for a 32bit
pointer to be fetched in a 32bit system.

Regards

Jack