[nSLUG] Software Freedom Day

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Sep 12 07:35:13 ADT 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:23:00PM -0300, Richard Bonner wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
>>
>>> I'm hoping to get Dal computer science society to do something for
>>> Software Freedom Day
>>
>> ***   I have been unable to reach the DAL ACM and am too busy to
>> track them down.
>
> Did you try? I don't see any emails to any of our lists, although I
> could certainly have missed something.

***   One of the HCC members tried through their website on several
occasions previously with no luck.

> I'm out of province now so I'm not going to be of much use, but Matt
> Gale is around. Try sending an email to exec at dal dash acm dot ca,
> hopefully you can work something out.

***   Thanks.

>>> Ideally that'd be on Dal campus - is there a reason a library in
>>> Bayer's lake was chosen?
>>
>> ***   It's in Clayton Park. We want to take SFD to the public. Also,
>> Dal can't be used by outside groups except for booking an expansive
>> venue such as the McInnis Room.
>
> Not that I'm arguing for Dal or against some library in Clayton Park,
> but student groups (ie the ACM) have had no problem booking the CS
> Atrium in the past.

***   That is correct, but given the problems getting ahold of them,
and the fact that we wanted a more public venue this time around, we
opted for the Keshen Library.

> I think our peak concurrent attendance a couple years ago was
> somewhere around 70 people -- which it was more than adequate for.

***   I was at that one; it was great! However, the last two have been
poorly attended.

>>> Seems awfully far away from any residential areas, and only one bug
>>> route to get there.
>>
>> ***   It's not in Bayer's Lake. Clayton Park has major residential
>> areas and good access via Dunbrack Street and Lacewood.
>
> It also has good bus access if it's the library I'm thinking of, the
> 52 stops near it, and that's cross-town.

***   I believe that is correct.

       Richard Bonner

          Chair
   Halifax Computer Club