[nSLUG] Software Freedom Day

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri Sep 11 16:59:34 ADT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:23:00PM -0300, Richard Bonner wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping to get Dal computer science society to do something for
> > Software Freedom Day - have you contacted them about working
> > together on setting up an installfest or something?
>
> ***   I have been unable to reach the DAL ACM and am too busy to
> track them down.

Did you try? I don't see any emails to any of our lists, although I
could certainly have missed something.

> > I'd really like to do an installfest - regardless which group can
> > make it happen.
>
> ***   I agree.

I'm out of province now so I'm not going to be of much use, but Matt
Gale is around. Try sending an email to exec at dal dash acm dot ca,
hopefully you can work something out.

> > Ideally that'd be on Dal campus - is there a reason a library in
> > Bayer's lake was chosen?
>
> ***   It's in Clayton Park. We want to take SFD to the public. Also,
> Dal can't be used by outside groups except for booking an expansive
> venue such as the McInnis Room.

Not that I'm arguing for Dal or against some library in Clayton Park,
but student groups (ie the ACM) have had no problem booking the CS
Atrium in the past. I think our peak concurrent attendance a couple
years ago was somewhere around 70 people -- which it was more than
adequate for.

> > Seems awfully far away from any residential areas, and only one bug
> > route to get there.
>
> ***   It's not in Bayer's Lake. Clayton Park has major residential
> areas and good access via Dunbrack Street and Lacewood.

It also has good bus access if it's the library I'm thinking of, the
52 stops near it, and that's cross-town.

> > DalCSS would be able to get good space, probably.
>
> ***   The last Installfest was held there and it was a dud.

No argument, we failed pretty fantastically at promoting that one. ;)