[nSLUG] Re: EastLink hijacking DNS

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Oct 31 12:38:52 ADT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 09:05:55AM -0300, Eri Ramos Bastos wrote:

erb> I just noticed that EastLink is now hijacking DNS.

There was some discussion of this on hfx.general when someone there
noticed.

Hatem Nassrat opined:

hn> In any case there is an opt out link you can click on, I find that
hn> took away most of the anger I had.

Yeah, right.  I suspect you're more even-tempered than I am.  I'm not
even an Eastlink user and I'm pretty grumpy about it. :-) Network
Solutions tried this a while back and got a boot to the head.

erb> My question for you is: If they decide to keep this up, do I have
erb> options? What about alliant and rogers? do they have the same
erb> stupid policy in place?

Apparently (supeficial scroot) it's not uniformly distributed but this
guy [1] says that Bell and Rogers are doing it.  If Bell is doing it,
it's only a matter of time for Aliant, no?

It's not clear to me what the "opt-out" does but it's
allegedly volatile and reverts.  One of these guys [2] suggests a
bash scrip <- cron to re-opt him out every minute or similar.

I know a tech at Eatslink.  I'll have to ask him what he's hearing.

- Mike

[1]

http://www.josesandoval.com/2009/07/block-bells-or-rogerss-dns-hijacking.html

[2] http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23189352-Eastlink-DNS-Hijacking