[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

Paul B wes902 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:03:43 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> ... but SORBS... I can't say this enough. SORBS is awful. SORBS sucks.
> If you block outright based on SORBS you are a bad person and you
> should feel bad, and more importantly you deserve to lose email. If
> you block outright based on it for mail services that aren't your own,
> you should be fired.

SORBS is horrible hence why my underlying distrust in RBHL's. There's been a
few other instances where the list provider was totally in the wrong for
listing the mail server for xyz reason (ie the spam source was flagged for
an opt out email).

Heck finding an RFC compliant email server is harder to find. Deploying
gray-listing for testing was endless amusement and frustration just due to
MTA's improperly setup. The time invested in white listing was more then the
reduction in spam load. Ran into so many issues with improperly setup retry
times (ie 60second retry with a 3rd failure), setups where reverse DNS on
the MX doesn't match, no DNS entry for MTA's, or HELO identification not
properly set. I think the best was an SPF with the -all mechanism and the
MTA nowhere in the record.