[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:00:40 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> Several weeks ago my wife's Eastlink mail was not being
> delivered to a friend using Sympatico.  Sympatico support
> blamed the friend's use of Thunderbird, but after being told
> that was nonsense they admitted that Eastlink was blacklisted.
> I suspect this was an example of the blackholes.us problem:
>
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7360
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20091013_unwelcome_afterlife_for_a_long_dead_blacklist/

Probably not the same problem, but I'm curious what they do.
Was the mail bounced or trounced (i.e. lost)?

At my work, we bounce - reject - email which fails reputation look ups,
RDNS, etc.
Spam is simply tagged for recipients to filter.  Only viruses are not
delivered nor bounced.  Even with viruses, the recipient gets an email
that an email was going to be delivered to them and is now quarantined.

--Donald