[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:51:39 ADT 2009

We have a Linux server at home for local mailboxes and it also
relays to Eastlink for our SMTP.  My wife reported emails
not being received at work sent from home.  We use ESET
nod32 virus software on Windows, and it integrates with
Thunderbird.

What I found when testing emails from Thunderbird
on two different windows PCs, sending to work and to Gmail,
is that if the integration set up has the default of adding a tag
line:

database
4556 (20091029) __________

and we are relaying through the local Linux as SMTP, then mail
is disappearing.  Linux server shows it is handed off to
Eastlink's SMTP OK.

If I either turn off the ESET message tagging, or use smtp.eastlink.ca
directly from Thunderbird, then the message will be delivered.

I would guess that something on Eastlink's side thinks this is indication
of a virus.  Otherwise I would expect a bounce.
They use Ironport Senderbase and Sophos by the looks of the headers.
With local mail delivery I don't see any headers added by ESET.

I'm hoping to talk to Eastlink about this when I have a chance.

--Donald