[nSLUG] dialup isp at home....

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Oct 13 15:05:04 ADT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Michael Gillie wrote:

> Hi Folks,   I'm kinda curious. I'm a Ubuntu Fan. I'm wondering if there
> is a way for me to build an ISP at home, and use a voip # to connect to
> my PC and use the internet connection.

Get an analogue modem, plug it into your system, set up and run mgetty
from inittab on the relevant com port and call pppd from mgetty. As long
as the connection terminates in an analogue port the system won't care if
it's running over VOIP, phoneline or battery powered barbed wire, but I
suspect Shannon's law would cut down the throughput over VOIP.

Note that you will be limited to, at best and very unlikely, V.34+ (and I
suspect more probably V.22bis). If you want V.90/92 you will need a
digital connection such as ISDN. I doubt this will be an issue since this
sounds like something being done mostly for hack value.

Cheers... Dop.