[nSLUG] Gmail UI is good for current mail not archives

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:26:08 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM, odoepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel Morrison-2 wrote:
>>
>> I still agree with your recommendation, since all this talk is pretty
>> insubstantial - the archives already have a certain behaviour and we are
>> not going to change it by discussing :)

The archives are done right. If you do the google thing on the
archives you will never be able to follow a thread of discussion and
now how it progressed. The way google does it is nice, only when you
want to reply to a message.

I give you this scenario. Imagine there is a long winding thread in
this list, where the subject lines have changed numerous times while
still kinda staying on a single topic. And you went on an email
vacation right before it started and have arrived just after it has
ended. Now trying to figure out how the sidetracks drifted and what
lead to what would be a disaster. You might argue well, you don't
care. Well you did lose some info, and trying to figure it out with
google's clumping of emails would be a slight disaster.

I actually kinda have this issue right now. I last checked my mail in
the afternoon, and now I came to this. Since I opened my mail through
gmail, I saw a list of emails. It is nice that this list is consistent
with not doing topposting and that made it easy to figure out what
each person is replying to. But if you see some of my other
conversations, you may quickly lose track on gmail about what is going
on.

IMHO, gmail interface is good if you want to quickly check your mail
and reply to something, it is not adequete at all for archiving and
reading historical mail. (gmail is good for finding/searching for an
old email, but thats a different story).

--
Hatem Nassrat

PS. I have many pet peaves with gmail, for example how when two emails
with the same message-id arrive, google will only accept the first one
and discard the rest. This happens when one sends an email to a
mailman list, I hate how I don't get my own message back. But this
warants a different thread completely.

PS. nobody changed the subject line, and we have drifted from the
original topic and went on a direct tangent. We did stick to the
tangential topic though, which I believe is the RFC regarding emails.