[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:13:29 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Google people seem to agree with me: it's not worth threading
> messages in which the subject line changes, because it's most likely
> that it is a new topic, not a correction of an old topic's subject
> line.

Its not about that. From where I am standing it seems that this is the
easiest way to group the emails the way google does. Google collapses
threads into more or less a single entry. If they use combine items
with different subject lines, it may make it quite hard to find an
email. Also a different subject line is mostly always a subthread, so
consider google trying to allow you to quickly separate subthreads.

If you use a different client, much liek the screenshot I posted
earlier, that problem doesn't exist as emails are not collapsed into
one big pile. Each email is its own entity.

I am not saying I dislike the way google does it. On the contrary, the
gmail interface is quite awesome, but I like a more traditional mail
client like mutt, especially when composing emails. (this one is from
the gmail interface unfortunately)

--
Hatem Nassrat