[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 18:01:08 ADT 2009

2009/10/9 Jack Warkentin <jwark at eastlink.ca>:
>> Now, there are some areas in which it is impossible to "just change
>> the software". Obviously no simple change can make the problem of a 25
>> MB attachment sent out by the front office to 500 people just
>> "disappear", so instead we have to lobby people to change what they're
>> doing by instead putting the file on a web page and sending out a URL.
>
> If every recipient of the message with the URL actually viewed the 25MB
> document, the bandwidth would be the same as sending it as an
> attachment. The attachment has the advantage that *nobody* can deny
> having received it (modulo the reliability of the email service).

Bandwith, yes. But... you've never administered a mail server, have you <grin>
25 MB x 500 people = 15 GB of storage on the mail spool, instead of on
individual's local storage. I admit the numbers I picked out of the
air are a trifle large, but when taking in to account that people hate
to delete messages (or to empty their trash), it adds up over time.
And, of course, not everyone will actually view the document.

> I disagree. We have a system that works very well. What we need is for
> more people to understand it. I have used email for 15 years now (25+ if
> you count the internal COCOS system developed by BNR) but this is the
> first I have heard about how threads are managed by the Internet email
> system. Now that I know how threads work I will change my behaviour so
> as to live harmoniously within the system.

Can't agree with you -- and I think you proved my point. 15 years and
you didn't know. The number of people signing up to email for the
first time continues to grow every year (I think?). Another 15 years
for each of them to learn and understand (and care enough to take
action, thank you for that) on how to use it properly?

> So ...  It is not the Internet email system that needs adjusting, it is
> the email *clients* that people use. A button that provides the
> functionality "start new thread to sender and all on the cc list" is
> what is needed.

This, I completely agree with. Until/unless someone comes up with a
better suggestion! :)

-D.