[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:11:27 ADT 2009

2009/10/9 Richard Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca>:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:51:37 -0700 (PDT)
>> odoepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The text of the subject line(s) is a less reliable way of "guessing" that
>>> emails belong to the same "conversation". Gmail seems to use a kind of
>>> "smart guessing" in addition to the Message IDs.
>>
>> In addition to?  A simple test says not: send yourself a message "test
>> one" and reply to it, changing the subject to "test two".  You will get
>> two "threads".

Other way around: while messages with new subjects seem to always
start new threads, two messages with the same subject lines will not
be joined (so Gmail must be checking the references in addition to the
subject lines, and deciding that the messages are unrelated). Mind
you, I'm guessing, and haven't done any tests to show this.

> ***   So should we reply and change subjects or must we start a new
> e-mail?

If the conversation has drifted and you want to update the subject
while remaining in the same thread, reply and change subjects.

If you are starting an entirely new thread of conversation, you must
start a new email.

-D.