[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:15:09 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:36:52PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>:
> > Gmail doesn't thread.  It apparently sorts by subject (with some
> > fuzziness allowed) and subsorts by date.  Proper threading is
> > linked by references in the headers and is immune to subject changes.
> > I consider it to be useful to know when an original thread has
> > branched into a sub-discussion, so I prefer proper threading.
>
> Some pretty strong language about what is "proper" threading and what
> isn't, Ben! :)

There was no strong language there. I arrived alte to this conversation
but I guess this confusion was cleared up and you figured out why all
mail clients put Message-Id and In-Reply-To, and if you use a nice mail
client like mutt you would be able to see them and edit them if you
want. The purpose of these headers to be able to track which email you
are replying to (quite apparent from the name of the header, eh). This
is the way the RFC designed how mail should be linked (as a tree or
graph representation).

To clarify even more, here is a snapshot of how my mail client shows off
how the conversation progressed, and the different 'threads' and
'sub-threads' of conversation.

    http://twitpic.com/kus2x

--
Hatem Nassrat