[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Oct 9 12:18:08 ADT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:56:38AM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> Is there a message ID that is preserved by all mail clients when
> replying to a message, and which other mail clients/the archiving
> software uses to thread, in preference to the subject?

Yes. There are two headers (possibly more) used to manage threading:
In-Reply-To, and References. A good example of these headers are in the
recent post with the subject:

 Re: [nSLUG] Free: S1836 board and two 600 MHz processors (SCSI not
working?)

That post has the following headers:

        <76a19f960909152022t2204c907if48dc51208820d38 at mail.gmail.com>
        <2238dbfb0909160516v5f0fd10dxb9c5769d9f60f815 at mail.gmail.com>
        <76a19f960909160554t780bcdeaw1809b62d9e2589ef at mail.gmail.com>
        <2238dbfb0909160602k523758c3qab23c39893b98635 at mail.gmail.com>
        <76a19f960909160616i30beb822g494d8865c65dc8a3 at mail.gmail.com>
        <4389e6d40909160858v1d4a0770pf13b64f9b3695e6 at mail.gmail.com>
        <4AB10E96.4020503 at zdoit.airpost.net>
        <20090916205104.GQ28113 at blackhole.295.ca>
        <4ACE18F4.5020409 at zdoit.airpost.net>

I suspect this is one of the emails that prompted Oliver's email. The
Free S1836 board has nothing to do with the original thread.

> Some invention
> that was intended to "make life easier" by allowing threads to
> continue over subject changes, but which is instead now imposing more
> rules on members?

Watch it there young whipper-snapper. :-)
This style of threading has been a standard (of sorts) since
RFC822. It was written in 1982.

--
sg