[nSLUG] Please do not use Reply for new topics

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:56:38 ADT 2009

Hello,

Can you explain why this happens? I mean, it sounds like a bug. Gmail
certainly doesn't have trouble threading messges properly.

Is there a message ID that is preserved by all mail clients when
replying to a message, and which other mail clients/the archiving
software uses to thread, in preference to the subject? Some invention
that was intended to "make life easier" by allowing threads to
continue over subject changes, but which is instead now imposing more
rules on members?

Sorry if I'm coming across a bit blunt -- I really want to learn how
this works. I noticed in a mailman list archive that I maintain that
some messages seemed to be children of unrelated "parent" messages,
and would like to learn why this happens. Also, because I quite
regularly just reply to a message and change the subject (not so much
for NSLUG, but in my everyday email), as I was under the impression
that it was equivalent to starting an entirely new message, but
without needing to type in the To: addresses once again.

If there's some specific documentation on this, feel free to just
point me to it.

Thanks,

-D.