[nSLUG] Position in System Administration at SMU

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Oct 5 21:15:26 ADT 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 05:27:00PM -0300, Richard Bonner wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Ian Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Biggest one is that employers are demanding more and offering less.
>>> Positions are being rewritten to cover work previously done by two
>>> or more people. I was offered ~$15/hr for a sysadmin ("but when
>>> you're not putting out fires you'll be coding") position with
>>> on-call. Unsurprisingly that job has been posted and re-posted for 6
>>> or 7 months now. Other potential employers have also talked well
>>> below normal market wages.
>>
>> ***   It's the "Chinese Wages" syndrome. Canadians are well below
>> where they should be in wages. When I was laid off at Sears in 1983, I
>> was making $8-something an hour - and that was just a part-time
>> warehouse position. What do retail workers get today? $8 - $10 an
>> hour.
>
> Minimum wage jobs remain minimum wage, that's not too surprising.

***   Ahh, Nova Scotia minimum wage in 1983 was $3-something. Jobs
that used to be good payers have become minimum wage in the past 15
or so years. Pay scales for many jobs have simply not kept up with
costs.

>>     Canadians are far worse off today than a generation ago. It takes
>> two to keep a middle-class existence where one could do it before.
>> Look at the number of homeless and shopping-cart scroungers compared
>> to a generation ago.  )-:
>
> The problem is more recent. This was abnormally low. The average for
> jobs posting pay ranges before the OMG ECONOMIC MELTDOWN was 15-20k/yr
> higher.
>
> On average they appear to have dropped 5-10k.

***   It sure seems like it. I see it as too many foreign companies
be allowed to come in and drive out the better paying businesses.

Richard