[nSLUG] Position in System Administration at SMU

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 19:24:29 ADT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Mike.lifeguard <mike.lifeguard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
>>> When I was laid off at Sears in 1983, I
>>> was making $8-something an hour - and that was just a part-time
>>> warehouse position. What do retail workers get today? $8 - $10 an
>>> hour.
>>
>> Minimum wage jobs remain minimum wage, that's not too surprising.
>
> It *is* surprising that minimum wage hasn't kept pace with the real cost
> of living though. OK, maybe not surprising, but sad for sure.

I am not sure about that. Maybe it is where I come from, but 8+ $ per
hour as a minimum wage is quite amazing to what some people get in
other places of the world. Maybe cost of living there is lower, but in
comparison Canada is still quite impressive.

I mean, I worked as a gas station attendant 4 years ago (i think) when
the minimum wage was 7.65. Anyways I felt that I was being overpaid
since I was basically studying and doing assignments most of the time.
In comparison, if a system administrator gets paid minimum wage, thats
quite sad.

In general I do not agree with the one size fits all minimum wage, I
think the minimum wage should be dependant on the job description.

--
Hatem Nassrat

PS. I had a friend in Egypt who worked in an internet cafe (sys admin,
hardware maintenance, casheir, janitor, ...) and he made 1 EGP an hour
= 0.2 CAD, he worked 10-12 hrs a day (this being his second job). This
was back in 2002, even with the lower cost of living in Egypt, this is
not anywhere near a decent wage. Today, the cost of living in Cairo is
comparable to Halifax.