[nSLUG] Re: question...

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Oct 5 17:55:07 ADT 2009

> I'm wondering if anyone in the linux community might have a very old
> 486 motherboards and CPU's?

I have a 486DX mobo with CPU, bought new in 1994.  It got left in the
rain yesterday on its way to storage but has sun-dried today.  You're
welcome to it but it's here, viz. near Bridgewater, 70 miles from
Halifax.  Richard Bonner's midden is probably easier.

Should you want it bad enough to actually come here, I might turn up
2nd one with some digging.  I also have some Z80 CPUs and some other
weirder chips but they're from an old, possibly home-brew, tape
controller, not on general-purpose mobos.

Bonus trivia: Does anybody know how I could get some amusing use out
of the following piece of hardware?  I have two of them but no
dongles.

    Northern Telecom/Brock Telecom Sentinel
    NTA005AB  05-15-92
    NATO 5810-21-908-9364

    Rear panel:
       Two female 25-pin plugs labeled "RS-232 Plaintext" and "RS-232
       Ciphertext" and 115V AC plug.

    Front panel:
       Datakey Keyceptacle port (dongle port?), two-line LCD display,
       cursor movement and "Enter" buttons, indicator lights.

    Of interest inside:
       DSP5600 DSP chip
       AMZ8068 DES chip (1984)
       80C186  CPU

       and a really weird circuit board etched to create a sort of
       maze but with no components mounted, glued flat into the case.
       Some kind of Faraday-cage type thing?

- Mike

                                                           /V\