[nSLUG] Position in System Administration at SMU

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Oct 5 17:27:00 ADT 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Biggest one is that employers are demanding more and offering less.
> Positions are being rewritten to cover work previously done by two
> or more people. I was offered ~$15/hr for a sysadmin ("but when
> you're not putting out fires you'll be coding") position with
> on-call. Unsurprisingly that job has been posted and re-posted for 6
> or 7 months now. Other potential employers have also talked well
> below normal market wages.

***   It's the "Chinese Wages" syndrome. Canadians are well below
where they should be in wages. When I was laid off at Sears in 1983, I
was making $8-something an hour - and that was just a part-time
warehouse position. What do retail workers get today? $8 - $10 an
hour.

    Canadians are far worse off today than a generation ago. It takes
two to keep a middle-class existence where one could do it before.
Look at the number of homeless and shopping-cart scroungers compared
to a generation ago.  )-:

  Richard