[nSLUG] [Linux Gurus] LXDE volume control

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 12:11:07 AST 2009

It might help if you explained what LXDE was (I'd never heard of it.
Oh, it's YAFLD (yet ANOTHER fast light desktop), <sigh>, or whether
your problem is related to:
- recognizing your volume hotkeys
- locating an appropriate volume control applet
- getting the applet into the task bar
- ???

I will assume your problem is the first one, and suggest xbindkeys
(google it) as an excellent special keyboard keys grabbing ->
arbitrary program executing background daemon.

Since I don't have a taskbar I can't help with any of the rest, but I
might suggest an alternative: xosd (google it) provides fun arbitrary
"on-screen" information, like a heads up display, which can be used to
represent volume. Together with the xosd xmms plugin which shows song
titles it could be quite neat for a media box. Disclaimer: I stopped
using it a while back, and it seems not to have been updated in a
while. YMMV.

Hope this helps,

-D.